SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Ka lunk

6K views 45 replies 9 participants last post by  156680 
#1 ·
ok so i went into marina here in barra de navidad in june, towed in, ignominiously, by panga due to runaway diesel experience... fun.... we even grounded softly on way into marina and lost steering..lol cable jumped off quadrant -- is fixed .
we have been fixing everything except engine over the past 5 months, and now we get around to the problem we dont wanna deal with. i even has some , err, one set ratlines on main mast shrouding. found wood for belaying pin rails fro december for my christmas present to boat.

we looked all over block for numbers. finding none of the indented variety, we decided ours is a bastid perkins sin numeros and therefore deserves different colors.

ok and parts will look even different after our artist is dine with certain lil bits she is painting with pretties and intricate lil stufffies which will not be known even by me until it is done.

so.
so far engine went back together nicely...had to fab some bushings for fuel line...went to injector place for diesel bits//funny how they were closed, so we went to a transmission shop and had some made... price was excellent..nada/ gratis.. wow. i love mexico. try that in usa!!!
so my boat is one with spare bushings for injetionsystem. lol
then we go to start the beastie.

KALUNK

ok. corrosion on terminals. fixed.now i has better battery power.
next day we do some more lil stuffies to engine beast....

KALUNK

now i am asked if i have a pry bar. (some of you know what is next..lol)

no pry bar in marina. ok. so all boats here are megas and some very few cruisers who left for summer...

OK GUYS, WHY DONT YE CARRY A PRY BAR IN YOUR CRUISING BOATS!!???

SOO..... spozedly today we lube beejeeziz out of the interior of engine and wait.
prybar is being built. is raining like crazy today as we are under a pretend tropical storm wannabe(is too late in season for a real one) so work may have to wait to tomorrow yet again....(see how it coulda seized up , as we had to wait a lot this past season. we had letters A-S form over us in some fashion, as we are southwest coast of mexico, 20 miles north of manzanillo)

yeah . the engine seized up while we waited after runaway so we get to unklunk it and make it new inside. ok
is only money...

meanwhile, i could be stuck in a worse place.

but i WANT noise and smoke and drippyness and leakiness and smoke......and....NOISE.
i WANT noise!!!!!! i WANT stinky......ggrrr

is gorgeous here. is actually a good place to stash a boat for summer, as long as rates are low in summer...for me the rate differential summer at 4400 pesos to winter at 14000 pesos.... peso is being charged here in marina at 12.15 to one usdollar.
rate is 13.0 at present.
good thing it is gorgeous here.
and parts are findable.
aarrgghh..my feet itch bad......

ok so now i cannot brag on how my sailing weather is soooo awesome...... aargghhh
but i will sail opb while mine is repairing.....so i still could have pix if i can find wifi like today..lol..on my boat.

here is how it looked after a nice named storm not too long ago...

See less See more
#38 ·
I am sure that you have heard this before, but; the definition of cruising is fixing your boat in exotic places... Have fun, and enjoy!

#39 ·
for past 4 years i been making trip and repair reports... this is an awesome lifestyle, and places are not as difficult for finding parts as you would believe.
seems each estado has a particular specialty as far as repair parts is concerned, and i have been fortunate to break down in places which are perfect for the repair of those bits that beak on my boat.
i found the most awesome rebuilder for injector pump and lift pump and a good furycame hole for summer repairs.
life is an adventure meant to be LIVED!!

#41 ·
While it is out, consider new engine mounts. They really do stiffen up, and eventually crack. So, a lot less labor to just change them now, while the engine is out.

Of course the big question is whether to just repaint the engine, or have it properly recovered in mirrored bits and spangles before it goes back in. (G)

#42 ·
engine mounts are good..were inspectred and secured...lol you would not believe how the engine was sitting in the well...lol...
it took 3 of us to lift that beastie out the main saloon overhead hatch.. and during the lift out, we had a nice panga wake to surf..engine was half up and out...lol.... we survived..was a job and half, but engine is now at mechanic´s house in joluco. it will travel to manzanillo for machining, parts will go to casimiro castillo for fuel line parts and service..injectors, etc..the injector pump rebuilder, javier, is friends with my mechanic...so it is awesome!!!
and, so... we will update and advise as to progress as it happens....i coulo dwell have an engine como nuevo in under one month...lol life rocks. and for under 1000 so far in parts and labor.
yes i did break down in the right place.
we using no gringos and no foreign businesses..all mexican. i spoke with the one against whom i received many warnings of poor workmanship--a ******, no less..lol...and he exhibited only ego and disgust for perkins 4-108. he desires 10k or more usd for his services. not my style. too much reported fail for the dollar.
i love this cruiser network we have..word of mouth goes a loooonnnggg way.

#43 · (Edited)
HA HA HA HAHA yesterday i met with mechanic. i was shown pix of interior of my block...wholly schwartzes batmon,....never saw an interior so chewed up entirely..only salvageable bits were block, cam and crank.... EVERYTHING else was twisted, torn, ripped. wtf´d into mayhem and only good for recycling of metals..... whew.
wish i had the pix to post so we could poll for the ultimate price i will have to pay for this rebuild.....
consider, so far....
and 6000 remaining.
medium is PESOS. we are now 13 pesos to one u s dollar, but effectively that works out to 12.5 in transactions.
you do the math...
essentially brand new engine with awesome paint job, much to mechanix dismay..lol...we see what colors he chooses for the block and associated, now in machinist shop, parts.....
so we looking early may,then tank build... that will be a kick.....

oh yeah...forgot to mention that mechanic and son saw motor mounts and approved, as wellas the affixment of same to stringers etc...and fuel and oil filters andwet muffler system.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.