SailNet Community - View Single Post - Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardb123 View Post
In my opinion the composting toilet is so much better than the holding tank system. It smells less, nothing in fact on my boat. It takes up less space. It's cheaper than a good toilet tanks hoses etc.

When cruising full time in the summer, my wife and I empty it once a month. This takes 5 minutes and is not unpleasant with care.

The urine is sterile and goes over the side, (in the ocean only of course).

Compare this to carrying around a tank of sewage under a bunk. Searching for a pumpout station wasting time going to the pumpout station docking,, and pumping out. This takes far, far more time than emptying the compost. And the pump out station is gross and unsanitary. Inevitably some gets spilled and this is toxic smelly stuff. If you have the holding tank system, sooner or later it will get plugged and you'll have to take it apart. THAT is the most unpleasant task I have done, in my life. You will never have to do that with a composting toilet.

Composting toilets like the Nature's Head (probably the best one) are the biggest advancement in sailing since the furling jib. There is really NO comparison.

Talk to a guy that has one. You'll be convinced.
they must be good. composting head owners ( 95% of them ) have nothing but good to say of them.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook