SailNet Community - View Single Post - Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
..I also don't understand how people can use a holding tank, often treated with chemicals, and then dump offshore (3 miles in the US?) and think it's the right way to do things.
I would be fine with banning holding tank chemicals. You are right, they are the dumping pollution, not the waste. Further, they are not only unnecessary to avoid odor, but ironically make it worse over the long term.

The three mile limit in the US is based solely on the distance from shore that our Federal Government has delegated regulatory authority to the States. If it was 100 miles, they would have chosen that.

Quote:
To be honest, the waste from boats is so insignificant a problem compared to land-based sewage that I don't really worry about it.
Amen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook