SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bluewater defined?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007

marycabell is on a distinguished road
I want STRENGTH in an offshore boat. Strength to withstand a number of accidental gybes or many sudden gales in the middle of many nights. Strength to hit an object such as a container, or as we have done a floating fuel tank, and not sink the boat. Strength so that if something wraps the prop it won't pull the shaft out of the boat. Strength in terms of small ports through bolted, batteries tied down securely. I want a boat that will go upwind in force 8 winds without an engine. I REALLY want to be able to get off a lee shore in dangerous weather. I want a boat with a belowdecks rigged for safety: small open areas, secure bunks, many handholds, table bolted to the deck, fiddle bars. I want redundant equipment: more than one water tank, more than one source of electricity, more than one propane tank. I want an onboard space where I can repair broken things like water pumps. I want a watertight boat when upside down. Dodge Morgan had a companionway hatch on "American Promise"that dogged shut. I understand that. If one is thinking clearly, a proper ocean boat would not be satisfactory in inland waters. That's why they are virtually impossible to find. Andrew "Niketti" B-29/105
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook