SailNet Community - View Single Post - fluid in compass
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente
The new boat came with a Ritchie Globemaster with compensators the size of horse balls. I've informally swung the boat (it's steel) and it's pretty good on the deviation, according to both the GPS and the fluxgate also at hand. Frankly, I find it a bit intimidating, probably because it's the size of a man's head and the P.O. told me to continue the custom of leaving an old wool balaclava on it to keep the sun off the fluid. Now I throw a hat on top of that, and if you board on a dark night, the effect is a little odd.

Anyone know of a small bulkhead or binnacle compass I could use on deck at the "outside" steering station suitable for a steel boat, or should I just get a repeater display for the fluxgate?
While a repeater for the fluxgate is a nice idea, I think having a compass that is not electrically dependent at the helm is a better idea... However, on a steel boat, getting one that will work and can be adjusted for the boat is a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook