SailNet Community - View Single Post - Prop Shaft Offset
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Prop Shaft Offset

That's what I was wondering - whether the new engine spins the prop shaft in the same direction as the old engine. As I understand it, the offset is an attempt to address prop walk by changing the angle at which thrust occurs. If the guy just had his engine replaced with one that spins the prop shaft in the opposite direction (as evidenced by the need for the new prop), that would amplify the prop walk, rather than reducing it.

If the assertion above (gas spins one way, diesel the other) is true, that could explain how it happened that the owner wound up with an engine that "wasn't set up properly" for his boat. Assuming that's the case, is there something that could be put in the drive train to cause the shaft to spin "properly"? Could the owner go back to the original prop but "just" run in reverse all the time? I'm not sure how the transmission would like being run in reverse, but...
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook