SailNet Community - View Single Post - Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Can someone with "compost toilets" explain the following:

1. Can you put toilet paper in the composter? What if someone uses a lot of toilet paper- what happens?

2. What if a crew member has diarrhea? Seems like that would be a mess.

Regards
Toilet paper is fine, it actually helps to absorb some of the moisture, the same thing that the peat moss/coconut husks does. As far as diarrhea goes you might have to add some more of the peat moss/coconut husk to the mix to help dry it up. (same thing that you have to do if the liquids should happen to leak into the solids tank) Should not have a major effect on the process.

Now I agree that it does not completely compost the material, it does do some. And if you use multiple buckets even a full time live-aboard could fully compost if they really felt the need. From what I have read is that a bucket really needs about 30 days without new additions to be useable as compost in a flower garden (not recommended for food gardens). Given most couples say they have to empty once a month this would require the rotating of two buckets. With a C-head that would mean 2 5 gallon buckets, and I believe he (or it may have been another company) sells vented lids to allow it to continue aerobically breaking down. Still less volume than most holding tanks. This would be a good idea if you live in a remote area without trash facilities but really the bag of dung is not much more than a large bag of diapers, without the non-degrading diapers.

Last edited by miatapaul; 11-20-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook