SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ranger 23 Keel Wobble Advice
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Ranger 23 Keel Wobble Advice

here is my take on it...definetly DONT have to listen or whatever...

I had this exact same scenario on my Islander excalibur 26

the excalibur 26 was ahead of its day back in the 60s, in fact it was the little sister to the cal 40, another LIGHT displacement boat in its day...

when I redid the rigging on my excalibur I took the boat back to my dock and almost had a heart attack when I got off the boat(unrigged)

this is an important point

the keel on the excalibur 26 is deep, thin and quite big...

when I would walk on the side decks I coul not only feel the keel wobble but the bilges would move and creek...in other words the floor boards where either getting moved side to side...or up and down...depending on how extreme the angle was...

so I had a friend move aroound on the boat and I could see the whole bilge and keel move laterally!

I got so freaked out I did nothing for like a month...

sooooo I called one of the best surveyors in town...he took notice of it...then said RIG THE BOAT

step the mast and tension rig CORRECTLY per lapworth specs...

and guess what?

all movement gone

what happens is the thin (light displacement for that time fiberglass work) simply softens up a bit...

my boat had no keel bolts, basically the keel is hanging...the glass just works over 40 years and its not as stiff as it used to be...

I know this can seem as heresy but that does NOT mean your keel will fall off, with keel bolts even less....

just make sure yours bolts and nuts are up to spec and torque and take some test sails with correct rigging tension...

again this is just some advice to take doesnt mean it its exactly what you have going on but...take it with a grain if salt if you will...

if you do want to fix the flexiness there are a number of ways to do so...layup in the bilges and stringers...or even on the outside...etc...

remeber however that some fixes have adverse effects...too stiff here you crack somewhere else, to loose here and something gives...stiff and stronger is not ALWAYS better...there is a happy medium...

good luck

Last edited by christian.hess; 11-21-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook