SailNet Community - View Single Post - Google Glass and it's effect on sailing
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road
Re: Google Glass and it's effect on sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
There's a LOT of information displayed on a plotter, put that much information on glasses in front of your eyes and you'll sail right into the side of a tanker. That's why heads up displays offer a minimum of critical information.

At 6 knots how much "real time" information do you need? Wind speed, depth? I can get that by glancing at the large displays on my binnacle.

How often do you glance down at the detail on your plotter while sailing? It's a reference that you check periodically, you certainly don't stare at it.

Plotters have become ubiquitous because they offer a real advantage over paper charts in the cockpit. I don't see google glasses offering that same kind of obvious advantage.
It's only over one eye... So if you hit a tanker it's because you either were practicing good seamanship or you didn't take the patch over your other eye... Plus the lens where info is displayed is transparent (has anyone seen a corvette HUD?)

How often do you check your tack ticks or similar devices?

Cruisers may not see the whole potential of this but racers can definitely use this. All real time info without taking eyes off of driving or tell tales..

-sent from sea via corked bottle
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook