SailNet Community - View Single Post - Singlehanded Unmooring from Windward Berth
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007

fendertweed is on a distinguished road
my slip (30') is at the end of the fairway, not an L shape, but with a full length T-Dock on the side farthest from shore (on the Occoquan River, nr. the Potomac). I have a very hard time getting out with 15 kts on the port beam (the river side) pushing me towards the slip next to me... it's a bit easier with the wind on the starboard side pushing me into the T-Dock because I have 3 fenders plus a dock wheel on the forward corner of the dock, so I can either walk myself (Pearson 26) forward a few feet to be sure I'm clear of the pilings and into the fairway, or use the dock wheel to pivot around/slide along. I have to exit, turn 90 degrees left right away, then do another 90 degree left when I clear the dock to head downriver.

But once it's up around 15 kts, if the winds abeam on either side, getting out or in singlehanded is a real challenge. That's when I really appreciate my wife, who can handle the forward spring or bow line and make it a pretty easy maneuver.

best,
Jon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook