SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for Feedback on Electric Propulsion
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007

donrr1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback guys, here is what I've found out in my research on electric propulsion. The system I am most interested in is produced by re-e-power (re-e-power.com). They use external propulsion pods, I would require 2 engines for my 41' Morgan. They provide the controllers for the units. They are currently working on a complete system which would include a DC generator and all of the components necessary for any method of recharging the battery bank(s) including the house bank. The estimated cost for the system now, using an independent DC generator source, would be about '14K' not including the battery bank if used as a hybrid system.

Their system 3000 draws 80 amps per motor at full load, they recommend a 200 amp DC generator to supply the power (allows for true working load of the genset). I have no doubt that fuel consumption would be less than the standard 'iron genny' for similar performance. Will it eventually pay for the additional expense?

While I don't intend the boat for racing, I am concerned about the additional drag of two external pods. Some in-depth testing on two identical boats, one with a pod, the other without would be helpful.

Don
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook