SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ka lunk
Thread: Ka lunk
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Ka lunk

boz..we were having fuel delivery isssues which seemes to me were gradually progressing thruout my 3000 plus mile journey to date. these issues became more obvious 40 hours into an 80 hour trek uphill from zihuatenejo to barra de navidad, the trek usually takes folks only 40 hours so i was double duration. i couldnt get push out of my engine. black smoke issues increased and we found black return line fuel ..... color of oil from inside engine.
so once we arrived here we changed oil and proceeded with the normal post trip engine maintenance .
we were raising anchor when we heard the rpms rising rapidly and we went to cockpit and engine room and when the stop button didnt work, he cracked all 4 injectors causing engine to cease noise and function.
now after 5 months of procrastination we found seized engine and some rust in 2 cylinders.
we are making a wrench fro bolt on engine front and we will find a head gasket and have the head examined to make sure it isnt warped...check compression to make sure nothing else is befouled and finish the fixing.
i have had injector pump and lift pump and transmission oil heat exchangers all rebuilt, which was total under 300 usdollars here in mexico, where gringos do not go. i figger i can find a nice head gasket for much less than the going rate in usa. the machine shop for head job isnt pricey either.
my boat did her job well. she broke down in a safe and wonderfully lovely spot for inexpensive repair.
i understand a rebuild on an injector pump in usa is close to 1200 to 1800 usdollars.
i am so glad i am not there at this rate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 11-21-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook