SailNet Community - View Single Post - Never Buy a New Hanse
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Never Buy a New Hanse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaramaz View Post
I am afraid there are more questions:

group a: questions asked here. As those around the age of the boat, and so on.

group b: OP, calling himself " Frankschicketanz" inform us that the boat has been in the harbour of Lagos, Portugal for 11 months.
Now, with internet it is far too easy to get information. It appears that a certain Mr Frank Schicketanz, residing in Lagos, has been sailing a new 40 ft german made boat in the Med, maybe from Lagos, and explicitly from Croatia to Lagos (4000 nm, no less).
The questions arising from this are obvious.

/J
Hum, that is impressing. I have made a little search also. Take a look:

It seems a brand new Hanse 40. The one that took the photo was Helen Schicketanz and on her blog we can read:

June 28, 2013
We left Lagos on Monday, a day later than we had planned.

Ex-Pat Online: June 2013

"July 30, 2013...None of us could believe how quickly we ran aground. The area was very badly marked; in fact, there was nothing to indicate shallow water that we could see. Frank was checking the depth and I looked out and commented that it was getting shallow and BAM! We were stuck. The waves that were hitting us did not help us get out either. We had to call the marina we had just left and they sent help. I think probably most sailors have a running aground story; now that we have ours does that mean we are off the hook?

... The woman in the marina near where we ran aground made all kinds of phone calls for us--to boatyards, to the bank when we needed to get cash and the one ATM in town was still out of order (after having been out of order the night before as well) and lent Frank the marina's scooter to get out to the money machine which was quite far away. ....
The same people ran the marina who ran the boatyard in Carloforte where they checked the keel. ..."

Ex-Pat Online: July 2013

September 8, 2013
Unfortunately, along the way we picked up a fishing net and were dragging it behind us. We tried with the boathook to dislodge it but it was too deep and we couldn't move it. We thought that maybe it was wrapped around the keel. Since we were sailing without the motor we figured we would deal with it once we stopped to anchor. ....

Ex-Pat Online: Frank Under the Boat

10 October, 2013
We arrived back in Lagos on September 22 and Max started school again on the 24th. He only missed three days, thanks to Frank's incredible planning and navigation!

Ex-Pat Online: October 2013

Frank, are you this FranK? Is Helen Schicketanz your daughter? She has nice pictures on Flick, she is a good photographer.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-21-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook