SailNet Community - View Single Post - Google Glass and it's effect on sailing
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Google Glass and it's effect on sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
The translation with automatic overlay is amazing and makes you wonder if you'll need a chart plotter in the future when it's already built into your eye glasses.
Hell, this stuff makes me wonder whether you'll actually need to go sailing at all :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
If I can add in virtual bikini babes to my foredeck then I'll get a pair, but otherwise I don't really see the point.
I'll take mine with the X-Ray Vision feature, what's the point if you can't see through those bikinis, after all?

Hope they plan to make polarized versions, I'd still need that for sailing in places like the Bahamas... Although, probably by then, Goggle will have charted every single coral head on the planet, anyway, there will be no longer be any need to keep an eye out for the damn things :-)

One sentence in that article really jumped out at me, though perhaps those who've never played golf may not appreciate its significance:

Quote:

Similarly, GolfSight can let you know where you are on a golf course, how far you are from the green, and what hazards are between you and it without having to dive into a phone.
For me, golf has always been a truly mystical game... As a boy, much of my best 'thinking' occurred on the water in a small sailboat, or on a golf course... I simply can't fathom having to pull out an electronic device to obtain a sense of "where I am on a golf course", or what lies between me and the pin...

A read of Michael Murphy's wondrous GOLF IN THE KINGDOM would likely pass right over the heads of those so eager to embrace these sorts of 'advances', different strokes for different folks...

This world continues to pass me by, but that's OK, I still somehow manage to get out there from time to time... :-)

Quote:

Golf is a game to teach you about the message from within, about the
subtle voices of the body-mind. And once you understand them you can
more clearly see your `hamartia', the ways in which you approach to
the game reflects your entire life. Nowhere does a man go so naked.

--Michael Murphy (Golf in the Kingdom)

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook