SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for Feedback on Electric Propulsion
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007

donrr1 is on a distinguished road
Goodnewsboy

My Morgan is a full keel boat, the system uses 2 engines mounted on either side of the keel with the control wires coming thru the hull. Hull fairing is necessary to provide alignment of the engines. There would be no downward thrust as in most conventional engine installations thus maximizing available thrust. Maneuvering would become enhanced because of the twin screw setup. The engines would provide charging to the battery banks as the props spin while sailing. Feathering props could be installed on one or both engines to reduce drag, of course this would provide no charging capability if both props were feathering.

The Morgan 41 was a CCA racer/cruiser in it's day. The hull is easily moved to hull speed on a reach in 15 knots with a jib and jigger alone. I'm considering the extra drag of the pods would not make my boat a dog. If the boat is a dog to begin with this application probably wouldn't be practical.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook