SailNet Community - View Single Post - BLOCK ISLAND
Thread: BLOCK ISLAND
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2002

bporter is on a distinguished road
BLOCK ISLAND

During the week is less crowded of course, but the last time ther we decided, after reviewing the slip that the Boat Basin had to offer, to go anchor.

I just didn''t feel like trying to back a 37'' boat into a slip with 6" of clearance off the barnacle encusted posts on either side and fenders from the neighbor encroaching, in a 15+ knot cross breeze. I took one pass and realized I really didn''t feel like repaintg my boat that year.

Anyway, the anchorage we stayed in held OK, but it was fairly deep, around 25'' or so at low tied. Seeting enough scope out let out all of the new rode, but we discovered after that 15+ knot breeze died in the middle of the night that our neighbor had a lot less scope out than we did. No entanglements with the neighbor, but we had an edgy night.

The prior visit to Block we stayed at Champlins - again creative docking. They had 37'' of boat in a 20'' slip or so that we had to back in to. No rafting that weekend though.

Plan on a long walk, or a cab/bike ride to get anywhere from the New Harbor. There is a little cluster of places at Champlin''s but not much; you can rent a bike and get VERY basic supplies. Didn''t think too much of the restaurant there, except it was pricey and not very good. The little bakery counter there did have these KILLER coconut & chocolate things though.

There are some pretty decent restaurants in the main part of town, and some interesting shops.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook