SailNet Community - View Single Post - Google Glass and it's effect on sailing
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Google Glass and it's effect on sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I'm not anti-technology, but I doubt Google will allow me the luxury of restricting my display to "sailing data" on my Google Glass. I'll be bombarded with texts, email and advertisements. There's no way in hell, that I will go out sailing with all of that in my vision.
Well, I can at least speak authoratively to this bit. Google allows one to turn off all notifications of texts, emails, etc and the only advertisements you'll be "forced" to look at would be those embedded in an app you got cos it was "free".

Just like the in-car navigation software I write for Google's Android platform (yes, the same basis that underlies Google Glass ) - it's all a matter of getting what you pay for. If you want it for "free", the company providing the service will make money from you some other way (generally advertising). If you pay for the application/data/service - the likelihood of advertising is diminished immensely. We would never embed advertising in our product but, then again, we'd never give it out for free either. The whole "you get what you pay for" applies even in techno-topias
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook