SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard Rentals
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 02-22-2007 Thread Starter
My land-based overhead (pretty decent neighborhood) is just over $3500/mo total including rent to somebody else. I could own a very, very nice boat (understanding there will always be slip fees going to somebody else too) in some of the most prime real estate in SoCal for less, including all associated costs with living aboard.

We've been researching for about a year now and although some things seem daunting sometimes, we're moving forward. When the reason is big enough, the facts don't count.

The trick now is to find a boat we can be OK with, because we need the transferable slip. Then, we can pursue the boat we really want once the slip is ours. We've positioned ourselves for this opportunity and it's a waiting game now. Maybe we'll get lucky and the boat will actully be the 'right' one, too.

I met a lady just before a Beer-Can race one afternoon who told me she was renting a liveaboard right there in the marina for the boat I crew aboard and now cannot locate her again to ask specifics. She was purchasing a bigger boat and was renting this other one in the meantime and it wasn't a chartered boat or a friend's either. It was a legit business with reasonable fees she said. I'm actually heading to the dockmaster this weekend to inquire about it.

It just seems like it would be a realistic trial, especially for my wife who has more reservations about it all than me....she's the smart one . However, she is willing to really give it an honest try, because of many factors.

Any advice steering me toward my goal would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome