SailNet Community - View Single Post - Never Buy a New Hanse
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013

Frankschicketanz is on a distinguished road
Re: Never Buy a New Hanse

Hi, everyone--This is Helen, Frank's wife, hijacking this post to mention a couple of things. I have tried several times to upload pictures here (which we did send to Hanse), but for some reason I keep getting a message that there is a server error. I hate to ask you to go somewhere else, but if you go to flickr and look in my photo stream (under Helen Schicketanz) you will see pictures of the cracked rudder. You will notice that the crack comes down from the TOP of the rudder. We discovered the cracked rudder when it was out of the water for anti-fouling last June; the running aground mentioned in the blog was at the end of July and did no damage to the rudder.

Second, it is not entirely accurate to say that the boat was not sailed for eleven months. We did sail it for a week in April. Before that--and yes, I grant you that there are a lot of things we should have known/researched/questioned--we could not leave the dock because we were trying to get it registered and insured in our names (SOY made both of these things very difficult, taking twice as long as necessary to get us the paperwork we needed). When we did sail it, we had very calm seas and did not notice anything with the rudder; we certainly did not hit anything.

We did not inspect the rudder when we purchased it, as it was a new boat. Consequently, it did not occur to us that it would be necessary to inspect it. SOY delivered the boat and put it in the water, where it was when we arrived to claim it. Perhaps we were too trusting.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook