SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Wet Part Of My Boat
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk
the hull form looks quite similar to the Mumm36 built by Carroll Marine about 10 years ago and was/is extraordinarily fast at about 8000 lbs displacement - except for the bulb. How much/what type(s) sails does she sport?
K1, good call...smart eye...my boat's hull design does remind the Mumm, (to some extent), being a race hull, and after a while, they all start to look similar, just like race cars.

There are, a few differences between the Mumm and my boat, but the principle is the same..

However, I have (proportionally), more beam, and the beamiest part is well after midships, while the Mumm's beamiest section is exactly midships. I also have less vertical surface on the bow, and my keel is placed at a different location, due to the difference in the bouyancy center. The V shape is also similar. My bow is pintier for a longer part than the Mumm.

I also have a slight convex rear hull section (behind keel) while the mumm is all concave.

I have a friend here that has a Mumm36, and it is significantly slower than my boat. It starts showing the signs of age, too. We also have a lower rating, which helps.

The sails are as follows:

Mainsail 586 to 592 SF (depending on the sail and purpose).

110% Genoa 389 to 400 S.F.

Spinnakers:Symetrical :around 1500 SF

Assymetrical: around 1450 SF

All round numbers.

The cruising sails are Dacron STD Lighter for the genoa, heavier for the main, the racing sails are Maxx Carbon regatta, and the Spinnakers are Superkote and Superkote matrix

http://www.contendersailcloth.com/maxx.asp
http://www.contendersailcloth.com/spicloth.asp

Racing sails were designed specifically for her, I just chose the cloth and maker of cloth.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook