SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Transat Jaques Vabre - Mini Transat

And has I have thought catching Riou in such a short time was almost impossible. Marc was again the fastest on the last 24 hours but recovered only 6Nm over Riou and it is now at 36nm. He is going to make a desperate attempt going near the beach were it seems to exist better wind but Riou has good wind till the finish line so no way to recover that distance. Unless something happens to his boat it seems we have a winner.

Curiously this two, I mean 1st and 2nd had very bad luck on the Vendee having both to retire on the beginning of the race, so good for them, they deserved not to have always bad luck.

On the 40class it seems that the 2nd and 3rd (Riechers and Pella) had done a huge mistake not following the course of the 1st (Rogues) trough the Doldrums. They were winning in pure speed and now they have lost hugely on the strategic play (or luck).

Fact is that Rogues is practically out of the Doldrums, still winning over both and have already increasedhis advantage over Riechers to 77nm and over Pella to 99. Those two lost in a day all that they have recovered with lots of work during almost a week.

That's racing. Let see what they are able to do now in pure speed since from now till the finish it is not complicated in what regards strategy.

Transat Jacques Vabre 2013

Regarding the mini transat:

On the weak winds (around 6K) it seems that Pedote's Bath tube bow racer is finally losing to the more conventional boat of Benoit Marie but not much, about 5nm on 24 hours. It seems that the weak wind is not constant and is mixed with 10/12K winds and that is just what Pedote's boat needs to be faster again, at least downwind.

In what regards downwind sailing the disadvantages of the bath tub boat face to a conventional design are really very small. It seems that only in very weak winds (8K or less) the boat is at disadvantage, but those winds are not frequent on the trade winds.

In about one day and a half Pedote is going to find typical trade winds, absolutely perfect conditions to his boat, between 14 and 17k and then he would say goodbye to everybody. Till then it is possible that Benoit can catch him or even overtake him by a small margin but then Pedote will go away easily.

Cartographie | Mini Transat 2013 - Douarnenez / Lanzarote / Pointe-ŕ-Pitre

I guess this kind of proves (two consecutive victories on the transat) that the Bath tube bow concept is unbeatable in a transat or in a race done basically in the trade winds. I hope that this will make the difference for David Raison to get some commands to design 40class racers according to the same principle because if this works for the mini I cannot see no reason not to work for 40class racers, Open60's or any kind of sailboat to race on this conditions.

And it is not only me that thinks that way, much more knowledgeable people think the same. Look at this design by Riechel & Pugh for sailing on those conditions at record speed:

Probably the reason that there are not already 40class designs with a bath tub bow is because sailors aesthetically hate that bow as much as me but we will have all to adjust our tastes the same way we have adjusted regarding hugely beamy boats that once were looked as ugly as those bath tube boats are now. They used to call them "dishes", well, not anymore and almost all today will find an Open 60 a very nice design, even with the particularity of that huge beam.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-22-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook