SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bow or Stern?
Thread: Bow or Stern?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2002

JEFryar is on a distinguished road
Bow or Stern?

My s/y is slightly underpowered with the prop in front of rudder. This arrangement gives good forward maneuvering even at low speed because the rudder is deflecting the flow of water generated by the prop. It is quite a different story in reverse. I need to have enough water flow past the rudder so that it will be effective. Also because the prop is much more effective in forward than it is in reverse, stopping is much easier utilizing forward.
In any situation with a following current or brisk wind I feel I have more control in forward. I simply match the forces of wind and current and bring back the throttle ever so slightly to "back" into the slip. With a small amount of forward I can stop or hold position.
Going into current and or wind I would do the opposite. The key for me is keeping my bow into wind and current.
To answer this question on a vessel you need to know the characteristics of the particular vessel. This is what the question is trying to get you to express. Good luck on the test.JEF
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook