SailNet Community - View Single Post - Google Glass and it's effect on sailing
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road
Re: Google Glass and it's effect on sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
Since no one seems to know exactly what they are visually since the article didn't show them or what it looks like looking through them.. Here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1uy...e_gdata_player

Now tell me how this is so "obtrusive" or "distracting"?

-sent from sea via corked bottle
Thanks for the test-drive. Multihanded racing crews could use them, I agree. I think some of the "resistance" you are seeing is from single- or short-handed recreational (read: not officially-sanctioned racing) sailors. Not so much against the technology itself, as having no use for it in their day-to-day sailing.

Coming into a strange harbor at night or in fog, sure,- I'll take all the help I can get. Gunkholing through the 'Glades & Keys - not so much. Though 10,000 people may have been there before, if I am exploring some little tidal creek for the first time, what I see, hear, smell and discover are new *to me* -- I do not want to know about the old Calusa shell mound 1/4 mile upstream from the next bend, I want to discover it for myself.

I trust the user can select how much and how often info is displayed. As long as there's an "OFF" switch, fine;- start going "Max Headroom" on us and there'll be trouble.

Quote:
Haha Yea, well you see the bottle is made of generation 3 Corning Gorilla Glass and the cork is space age foam... And you better believe that letter in the bottle is on a flexible-inkscreen. Is that better?
I like it!
All that is rather a mouthful,- and the short form does sound better.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook