SailNet Community - View Single Post - Never Buy a New Hanse
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Never Buy a New Hanse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Well... that's not good... and needs to be addressed. Is that hull scraping too? If so that's a pretty good indication that the rudder was seriously stressed at some point. The question then is when and by whom?
Yup, even to my untrained eye it looks like damage from an impact. And looks like the rudder was moving at the time, or pressure was on it for a long time as the boat leaned against it, as if it had been grounded, and the boat bounced around for a while, not long but more than just a soft grounding. Does the harbor have a strong tidal surge? Perhaps it was bouncing on the bottom in the sip at low tide? I would still expect the dealer to take care of you and at least give partial credit, especially if it did take 11 months to register the boat. But as said the structure of the warranty seems to leave it in the hands of the dealer, not the manufacturer. I do also agree that if the dealer is out of business, then perhaps the manufacturer would step up. But the picture does not look favorable to you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook