SailNet Community - View Single Post - 3JH2 Yanmar Impeller
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Rick,

I am not familiar with that particular model, but on my 2GM20F you have to take the pump off in order to inspect/replace the impeller. There is no room behind the pump to remove anything, although the front is very accessible making removal not that tough.

It at least sounds like you can get to the back of the pump. Still, removing those small screws won't be fun. What I suggest to make removing the back cover plate at least possible is a Speed Seal. Made in Britain. It replaces the cover plate with a milled stainless piece that then uses 4 large knurled knobs to hold it in place. Unscrewing the knobs is a breeze compared to messing with those small screws. The Speed Seal also uses an O ring for a seal, doing away with that idiotic paper seal on most raw water pumps. You still have the issue of using a mirror or whatever to get to the impeller itself of course, but at least you can get the cover plate off without losing your religion.

www.speedseal.com

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook