SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for Feedback on Electric Propulsion
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007

donrr1 is on a distinguished road
Eyes Open

I looked into Solomon Technologies first. When I first contacted them by email I requested information on what the specific components would be and overall price, for my installation (I was explicit in my needs) They responded with an email that said I should, basically, go to their site and figure it out for myself. So, basically I did. What I came up with for a complete system in terms of price was approx 25k not including a battery bank.

Based on the displacement of my boat I would need a 40HP diesel for propulsion. The system I described in my previous post uses a 26HP diesel genset. To cruise at about 6 knots in fare seas would require about 2500 RPM on that 40HP diesel, the 26HP genset runs at 1800 RPM delivering in the area of 180 amps. The electric motor uses 80 amps at full power, 2 x 80 = 160 amps. That's what 'opened my eyes'. Each of the engine pods provides the equivelent of a 20HP diesel. 2 of these pods should provide plenty of thrust in my mind not to mention the maneuvering ability of 2 engines.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still not sold on this system. It is an emerging field for one, I'm concerned about the drag of the external engines as well. The system RE-E-POWER sugested is approx $14K not including a battery bank.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook