SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for Feedback on Electric Propulsion
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Minn Kota also makes pod motors. MK202/EM 36 202 I looked at these a while ago, and they were priced at about $700 each pod (CDN). They also sell complete control systems. At the time I had thought that it would be a good idea to buy these and mount them on a lifting/lowering mechanism at the transom, so that they would not generate a lot of drag underway. In the end, the power issue became problematic. There are two situations when it's desirable to have power on your sailboat. Manoeuvering in and out of slips, and when thing are messy and you need the power to keep you from being blown onto rocks. I couldn't find a system that produced enough thrust without fitting an impractically large battery bank. Fuel cells may be practical in a few years. I looked at the re-e-power site. The drag that they generate is going to be significant. As far as the manouevering assistance from one or two on each side of the keel goes - you won't notice it unless the pods are well away from the centreline. Even then, the keel is going to dampen most of the side thrust, unless you set the pods up on some type of pivoting platform so that they can be swivelled directionally...very interested in hearing about whatever system you go with...keep posting

Last edited by Sailormann; 02-24-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook