SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Beautiful boat Paulo.

Keep in mind that chines are not new to yacht design. The first boat I sailed 53 years ago had chines. I sailed a lot of chine boats when I was young. Let me try to list them just for fun. These are all boats I sailed:

El Toro
Penguin
OK Dinghy
Snipe
Tasar
Gear 18
Mercury
Lightning
Star
210 Thunderbird

There must be more but I can't remember them right now.
Chnies were convenient when you were working in plywood.

Now chines have come into vogue. But don't be fooled. They work well on some designs and are of little use on others. But they will show up more and more. Why? because it is fashion!

I love a well placed chine. It can really accentuate the lines of the boat. In a boat that is travelling at more that text book "hull speed" a chine can flatten the butts and add some speed and some stability. But that is a very small number of boats.

While chines won't help the performance of boats with D/L's over 160 they won't hurt the performace either.

Chines are not new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 11-23-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook