SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battening down for heavy weather
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Tartan34,
I was under the impression that the Pardey's used a running bridle on the sea anchor rode, led aft, to limit fore-reaching as well as achieve the desired angle of attack to oncoming seas. Am I reading you correctly in stating that a fin keel boat will refuse to ride in any semblence of order under this arrangement? Would it be the case that, with so little lateral resistence as compared to a full keel boat, one would have to continuously tend to the running bridle to acheive a semblence of order? Very interested in your further thoughts on the matter. From another thread, I gather that you may feel the drogue towed astern could be more effective. I would suspect that the difficulty with that device would be the number of units deployed and also it's unlikelyhood of recovery (which given the circumstances encountered may be a low price for survival).

Dog,
What are you referring to regarding leeway? When on a leeshore? Or in open sea? I would grant the point in the former, but assume it to be of little significance in the latter.

Has anyone here deployed the parachute version of the sea anchor? Is the old lifeboat conical sea anchor, equipped for storm oil canister, inferior?

It does seem that the manufacturers do little to imply otherwise than that their boats are well equipped for most all conditions-or perhaps they mean to imply that they are equipped and warranted for no conditions, express or implied! Tartan34's dwelling on the possible dual usage of gear already on board for makeshift repairs, etc...seems spot on and his thought process of "what if" is just what I was hoping to get out of this thread. I look forward to further input.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook