SailNet Community - View Single Post - Deciphering what I need in a GPS chartplotter
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
Bob,
just a couple thoughts, One get one with a numeric key pad. It makes entering way points faster. although these new multi function units are nice,the ability overlay radar on the chart is very helpful) I generally prefer stand alone systems. I have been using northstar gps for the last ten years,the 941 at first and the 952 now. hands down they are the most user freindly and reliable piece of electronics I've ever had. they're so easy you really don't even need the manual. as far as quality goes other than the nothstar I use all furuno electronics at work they are just about bullet proof I wish I could afford to to put all new furuno equipment on my Sail boat but can't justify it right now.
You probably don,t need the sonar. As far as chart orientation I think its more personal prefrence. Gps and radar your stuck with running anntennas and wire.
If you want and can afford the very best find a good local marine electrician buy all your gear from him and have him install it. that way you know its done right and you have an actual person to go to if something doesn't work right
Hope this helps.
Matt

Last edited by soul searcher; 02-25-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook