SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any St. Kitts & Nevis / Anguilla experiences?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2007

Chuteman is on a distinguished road
Been There

Z:
If you prefer, we can exchange PM or e-mail for nitty gritty details.
But here's an overview.........
I've done 3 anchorages on SXM + primary on Anquilla.
SXM:
Grand Case - (NW) my favorite town (french feel + lots of food choices) but less favorite on the hook = rolly especially with NE winds + anchored in front of town /main dinghy dock. Maybe better if further north tucked in behind bluff. It's a big flat bay + winds come thru cut in hills by airport (yes GC has small airport) which tends to get a wind vs wave movement going in the anchorage.

Marigot - (W) Less favorite town but favorite anchorage - Modern marina avail for water (higher concrete docks so fenders have to be high & prepare for interesting departure if winds are blowing you onto dock) , fuel (diesel), showers, laundry, internet, etc........we anchored in the bay & bought a "Use Pass" which gives you access to marina services (still have to pay when required ie; showers) & security (bonus) @ dinghy dock. Bay is big but protected from swells of normal winds. Can be noisy at times due to bars & off shore breeze but not that bad. Can also be shallow in places especially going into marina area but the channel is marked.
Ferries go in & out on north side near marina so there's traffic but easy to avoid by anchoring just a little south away from that. We used our dinghy to zip all around from there ie; Simpson bay is about a 10-15 min Dighy ride depending on where you are going, also gasoline is avail via dinghy (not marina in '05) plus there's a cute waterside area of Marigot that can be accessed too (turn north after going under TINY BRIDGE that you also use to get to Simpson bay)

BTW - Simpson Bay (S) is huge & I'm sure it is crazy in the winter from what I read..............we never tried to enter with yacht due to location (south access bridge) vs our route. But they have multiple marinas, bars, restaurants and Marine services scattered throughtout this large area that is easily accessed by dinghy from Marigot..............night navigating (we did day+ dusk) by dinghy is tricky unless you have a bright light to see + be seen.....lots of boats anchored or moored everywhere.

Last edited by Chuteman; 02-25-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook