SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Navman Depth Sounder Transducer

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Bert van den Berg 
#1 ·
I have a Navman Depth 3100 on my Azuli F40 Cat (Foam sandwich hull).
The transducer is mounted in-hull at a solid f/glass section near seawater intake.

The sounder has worked OK for about 11.5 years.
But recently the display started showing "- -" instead of the depth numbers.

I read that you could check that the sounder was sending a pulse to the transducer by using an old AM radio tuned to 200KHz and listen for a clicking sound to confirm that the sounder was sending the ultrasonic pulse.

I did this test and it worked. I could hear a clicking sound through the radio, when the sounder was powered on, the clicking would stop when I turned power off to the sounder.

Then I removed the transducer from the hull and put it in a bucket of water. The display started showing a reading. From this I assumed the transducer may be OK, but the interface to the full had been compromised somehow.

So then I cleaned up the transducer surface and the hull surface and reattached with SikaFlex.

Now it is just showing "- -" again.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Can anyone suggest another test to confirm the transducer is OK or not?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi,

If you put a wet thumb on the face of the transducer and slowly rub the face near the center while the depth sounder is running you can usually "feel" (and/or hear) the transmit pulse.

Your Navman transducer probably has a phono plug connector to connect it to the display unit. Check the wiring at both the male and female connector to verify that the wires/connections are in good shape.

It's more likely for the display unit to fail than the transducer.

Regards,

Bert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.