SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Transat Jaques Vabre - Mini Transat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
On the mini class racer on the light wind conditions Benoit managed to close on Pedote and is bathtube bow and was at only 5nm but wind pressure is increasing again and will remain strong probably for many days so I guess that recovery is over and now it is time for Pedote to put on all the superior power of his boat and to go away. Let's see if it is like that.

On series boat Aymeric is making a fantastic race and went away from their pursuers. Considering also Protos he is on 3th or 4th on the overall classification and that is just fantastic considering he is sailing a series boat.

Justine is also making a very good racer and has managed to overtake koster and is now 2th
Agree that Pedote is going to win this race when the breeze increases, barring any malfunction or misfortune. But I want to underscore your comment about Belloir. His performance has been nothing short of extraordinary. If you put him in a Proto he would likely be so far in front of everyone the race would have been settled days ago. And this is even considering the superiority of the 747 design - that is to say, Belloir is sailing his Nacira series boat far beyond any reasonable expectations, given the historic difference in performance between the Protos and Series boats. I don't know what his future plans are but if this doesn't take him to the next level of the sport, in terms of sponsorship, then something is wrong in the world. Truly a remarkable effort. Looking forward to the post race interviews where he reveals his secrets.

Oh, and I mean no disrespect to Koster or Mettraux, both of whom have sailed a terrific race. But it has really been the Belloir show this time. And also have to give respect to Benoit Marie, the only Proto that has been able to keep pace with the scow. If he somehow manages to pull out the victory, it will be a chapeau moment for sure.