SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Pogo 40 s3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post
When I last visited the Structures yard last winter I was suprised to see they were working on a successor for their Pogo 40 S2 class 40. But Christian Bouroullec was convinced this 2010 design was already becoming outdated so they asked Pascal Conq (Finot-Conq) to design the S3.
The Transat Jacques Fabre seems to confirm his feeling: the first Pogo S2 Groupe Picoty will only be able to battle for the 4th place if nothing bad happens to the leading trio.
And although the Pogo S2 Campagne de France is now 2nd in the Class 40 ranking, this will probably change when the results of this Transat are taken into account.

So things are moving fast in the Class 40 scene, as does the brand new Pogo 40 S3:

Pogo 40S3-go to Lorient on Vimeo

I don’t think they will be making a cruising version of that one .

Best regards,

Eric
Yes Eric, that is how fast things go when racing is made at top level with racers and designers working hard to improve performance. We didn't yet come as far as in top car racing where on the top category (F1) the last year's car is an old car and without any chances to win but things come in that direction and this is good because it only means that advancements in design are coming faster.

Of course I am not talking about amateur or semi-amateur sail racing but about top professional racing.

Even so at the point we are, 3 years is already a considerable period of time in what regards hull development at the present state of the art and the same happens with the IMOCA boats (Open 60) where 2007 boats are considered old boats. From the four that were disputing the leadership of this year Transat all where 2010/2011 boats with exception of Marc's boat that sails one from 2007 that is still competitive, but not as much as the top ones. Maybe its titanium keel helps to make that difference smaller helped by Marc's talent. Anyway on the next vendee all these would be "old boats" without any chance of winning against the future new boats that will be built soon.

Regarding the Pogo S2 you are right, the boat is not competitive at top level anymore and it is not by the best place to be 4th on this transat but from the distance the 4th is from the first: more than 280nm is a huge difference.

It is a pity they had not the boat ready and tested for this transat but certainly we will have several on the Route du Rhum that is even a bigger classic than this one.

We have talked already about the Pogo s3 that is a very beautiful boat and that I bet it will be faster than the S2. Pogo needed it to be at the head of the transats again.

Pogo 40S3-go to Lorient from Pogostructures on Vimeo.

For the cruising Pogo, your boat, the 12.50, I don't think the difference in performance between the two hulls would be meaningful. I guess that from now on the cruising version will be built on the older version of the racing boat hull but, who knows, the owner of Pogo shipyards is a perfectionists and may decide that fast cruisers deserve the same kind of development racers want in their boats in what regards performance

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-25-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook