SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Navigation Lights

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  pigslo 
#1 ·
Were are re-wiring our mast and was reading the the newest Good Old boat about navigation lights, my orginal plan was to remove the fwd facing masthead light that is half way up the mast and switch to a top of mast light that has the choice of just the fwd half on or all around on for while at anchor. And the usual red, green and white stern light. What should I do keep the mast head light half way up the mast and just all around light at the top or switch to the combo light at the top. Thinking of using this light... http://www.starmarinedepot.com/detail.asp?product_id=PE1828

Scott

#2 ·
Scott:

I use the light that you have shown as your choice and installed it in 2002. I like both being at the top of the mast as i can see the top of the mast at night and be comfortable with bridge clearance, etc.

Of course, the other thought is that if the mid-mast running light works for you, why go thru the trouble and cost of changing?

Tim

#7 ·
That forward facing mast light half way up the mast is often referred to as a steaming light. It must be on when you are motoring at night. I stand to be corrected, but you not allowed to have a steaming light at the top of the mast. There are some mfgr's out there that make a combination steaming light and deck light in one unit. I have one. I would not move the steaming light up to the top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.