SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina wing keel or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina wing keel or fin keel?

I think most of the relevant answers posted in this thread. However, no one has yet mentioned the wing keel shoal draft designs usually have a bit more ballast than a fin keel of the same model. I think the wing keel C27 has about 220lbs more ballast than the fin keel. The extra weight is probably negligible unless you're a hardcore racer, in which case you're probably shopping for a fin keel. Ballast and draft differences also mean different centers of gravity, etc, but that's all too much math for my meager cruising sailor's mind.

We recently purchased a wing keel C-34 and are very happy. We don't require a shallow draft, so a wing keel was not a "must have". In fact, I suppose if I had my choice of equal boats, I'd take the fin keel just because. However, overall condition of the boat was our top priority so the keel design didn't really matter. We don't race so I don't really care about a bit of extra speed or marginally better pointing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook