SailNet Community - View Single Post - a little help?
Thread: a little help?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007

Loewe is on a distinguished road
A little snapshot of extremes here. In the marina business there are many opportunities to form opinions about the boating public. Yes these are generalizations but like stereotypes they are based in fact at some point. Power boaters...On a hot summer day I can here the thunder of the cigarette boat fleet inbound to our place from 3-5 miles out. I can also describe at least 1/2 of the occupants sight unseen. Skipper: from Jersey or other parts north, hair implants, chemical tan, 32 perfectly capped teeth, satyr horn necklace, with nugget ring and band for his time piece, bit of a pot belly bought and payed for like everything else and proud of it. Crew: vapid, staring, usually blonde, way too tan, more silicone than a GE plant and usually at least partially deaf from doing the deck fluff pose atop twin 545's.
Sailboat pulls up to the diesel dock from England and takes on 35 gals of diesel which takes two hours because it has to go through a BAJA filter first. Meanwhile they take on 150 gals of potable water and drop 4 bags of trash on the deck. They spill 2 gals of fuel trying to squeeze that last ounce in to the tanks and apologize profusely for the duration of the experience. They ask where the showers and laundry are before they shove off for the anchorage to ride the hook for free and come back in to utilize the facilites...or so they hoped
In between are great people of following both disciplines but I have to say the hardest drinking and most clueless around these parts are the power boaters. I think the lack of mandated boating education and hurried way of living lend themselves well to that perception. Take all this with a huge dose of salt as I am biased on one hand as a Sailing instructor and liveaboard sailor, and on the other as a dockmaster of a marina that serves the power boat community. I hope this real world experience helps in your compare and contrast assignment and remember........plagiarism is a crime!
Regards,
Red

Last edited by Loewe; 02-28-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook