It's hard to believe they left with a cut off low just to the NW with winds 25 to 39 on the nose by Tuesday then the trades go way from 22N to 10N all most all the way across the Atlantic till next week, no wind at all.
We are staying in the Canaries till we can enjoy the sail. Did you notice that 3 of the boats broke away going NW. I guess they will be heading over the top of the low and down the backside into the Carib. We have met a lot of the ARC folks and many of them are not prepared for the crossing, I must say we worry about them. I guess when the sponsors have all those party room rentals and caterers awaiting in the Carib they just send them anyway.
Today we sailed from Marina Rubicon to Marina Calero about 20 miles. It was our first real sail to weather in about 30 knots out of the NE and 1 to 2 meter seas. The new boat sailed really well as we stayed totally dry and the Boreal charged thru the seas just wonderfully at 8 knots with 2 reefs in the main and after awhile one reef in the genoa. Later in the day we did our first heave to to see if she could. Seems like she does just fine but I think she may do even better with the main down. Will give it a try soon, down below very quiet and peaceful better than our old Mason 44 was I think.
Paulo, I think she is a dry boat going to weather. For now until the weather is right and we cross we will continue to work on the boat and drink good white Canary wine.