SailNet Community - View Single Post - CS36T Fuel filter Westerbeke 44B
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013

Nias is on a distinguished road
CS36T Fuel filter Westerbeke 44B

I did some engine maintenance for first time on my new to me CS36. The boat was repowered with a Westerbeke 44B in 2009. Fuel tank is original.

When replacing the fuel filters I shut off the fuel via a valve that is inline between the tank send and the primary filter/water separator. All good there. No problem draining and replacing that filter.

When I went to replace the engine mounted fuel filter, there was diesel pouring out of the filter and I could not get it to stop. Send valve still shut off and primary filter off so the fuel was not coming from the send, rather coming back from the injectors and the return to the tank. I thought there might just be some residual fuel coming back from the lines but after filling up a bucket with nearly half a gallon of fuel, I figured that the fuel must just be siphoning somehow from the tank return and was not gonna stop.

Is this normal? I managed to switch out the filter while the fuel was leaking but that was messy, and that doesn't seem right. I looked for any other shutoff valves but found none. Is there something I didn't do before I started replacing these filters? It's my first time working on a diesel engine. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook