SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just wanted to be the first
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2002

manateee_gene is on a distinguished road
Just wanted to be the first

Well,bob:I''ll give you one point of view,there are as many as there are liveaboard cruisers.
First we also have Tom''s book,we are charter
members of the newsletter.For the record the newsletter is what caused us to turn around in Baja Mexico and sail back to San Diego
and ship our boat to the Right Coast.We have lived aboard a series of boats since 1957 and
travelled extensively on the world''s oceans.
We have talked to more people than you would want to know about.Sooner or later everyone
except maybe Tom! wants a home base to come back to and work on the boat,stretch the Sea Legs,pay their taxes and just plain not worry
about whether the hook is going to drag,yours or your neighbors.I cannot tell you about others but this is what we have finally settled for our option.We first bought a place on the St.Johns River in northern Florida with our own cove.(See pic
under dancy8888 on last weeks CWBB.)It was
too cold in the winter so we looked further south.Found a really nice spot on the Braden River at the city limits of Bradenton.For a relatively small sum we purchased a 12x42 older but in excellent condition mobile home.
The space rent is CHEEEEEP.A side tie for the boat is included.For most people it wouldn''t be tennible because if you draw over 4'' of water your S.O.L.Our lives have reached a point where we spend 6-8 mo''s
aboard and love it;then its time to hit the land base for a recharge of the batteries.
So you have one OLD Salts view.
On the subject of boats.I have what I want and would''t trade it for anything afloat;that said if your looking for a good home,relatively good sailing capability,
and a "skinny water" boat for 100K you could much worse than a Krogen 38 center board model.
Good luck,fairwinds and following seas and
pleasant anchorages. Gene
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook