SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why are there so many Hunter haters?
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013

duchess of montrose is on a distinguished road
Re: Why are there so many Hunter haters?

I personally don't like hunters but i don't hate them they just don't align with what i feel are the things I want in a boat. I have sailed two hunters extensively a hunter 39 and a hunter 290 and spent some time on a 380 which was in my opinion a very poorly constructed boat. I think that hunters have pretty decent interiors and for people who spend alot of time at the dock they offer a much more comfortable interior than many other boats however i really did not like the build quality on the 380 especially but all of the hunters i have sailed. In the 380 i sailed a piece of cabinetry became adrift during a squall. the hull flexed alot more than i was comfortable with and furthermore i found that certain things just didnt seem like they were as robust as i would have liked. I think that there decent boats for the conditions there designed for, because they are clearly not designed for offshore passages in bad weather, but they offer alot more luxuries for the same price as a much narrower smaller offshore cutter would and these days very few people want a slow heavily built bluewater boat because people dont have the desire to spend years circumnavigating via the great capes. I do take issue on the idea that older boats were less robustly constructed than modern hunters. My boat was made in the 1970s and it was not made of csm it was made of woven roving which was hand laid, however i understand not all boats were made like this, theres definitely improvements that have been made in yacht design but I would say my boat seems to me to be more robustly constructed than modern production boats in its size range, obviously the higher end boats in its size range are generally a little better built because they take advantage of vinylester resins carbon kevlar cloth etc. Light boats are not necessarily weak however, i found the laser 28 that i sailed on to be quite a strong boat and it was also very light.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook