SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cape Dory 25 - Project boat
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013

Griffinroydonald is on a distinguished road
Re: Cape Dory 25 - Project boat

I bought a Project boat years ago and did the required work myself to get her back in the water. I spent what I could and when I could. The boat was purchased for $3500 and I put about $1500 in her from the start. I bought used parts from many places and reconditioned what I could for use untill better parts became available. The boat was finished after 5 years and has served me well. I could afford a new boat but wanted to change layout and rigging to suit my likes and needs. I would not do this to a new boat.
I have many friends who have learned to sail in this old boat and they share use of it in exchange for help with required work. The cost is cheap for yearly operation as I live near a large lake and pull it down in the spring and leave for a few weeks at a time. We use it untill November and them pull it home. I say buy what you can and enjoy it. I would buy something you can sail while you fix things that are worn and broken untill you have what you want. I have built and changed the entire layout so it meets my needs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook