Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Ah, yes, more BS/inaccuracies/whoppers.

Here, let me help you out:

http://des.nh.gov/organization/commi...nts/ard-36.pdf

Or this...

Smoke from wood fireplaces, stoves raises new health concerns ? Environmental Health News

I mean, believe what you want, Brent - but you can't just keep making stuff up and presenting it as fact. That's what we call BS, or environmental denial, or as Buddy tells the fake Santa...

As for where my electricity comes from...I pay about $4/month for what we use. And, building on what you try to claim about how the steel in your boat(s) is only a minuscule part of the incredibly environmentally-destructive process of mining, processing, treating, shipping, welding, etc. steel (you know, messing with stuff that would otherwise remain buried) - whatever way that electricity gets to my little 1500 watt heater will ALWAYS be cleaner than ANY of your methods. I care about the environment. I just wish you would too.

I'm semi-retired. I have a very nice balance of work and fun. I love my work and have fun doing it, but I'm doing less of it because I love having more and more fun elsewhere. So, I have absolutely no complaints.

Have fun with your deadly firewood.

Well, two things...first, I have a generator so I can plug in anything I want. I think you're mixing up my very well-equipped boat with your obviously very ill-equipped boat.

But at the end of the day, I have absolutely no desire to be cold and miserable in any circumstance. That's why I live in and sail to warm places.

But, hey, if cold misery makes you as happy as you seem to be, stay right where you are.
When I sail past Vancouver I see a huge cloud of brown vehicle smoke. We laugh at the Romans for using lead salts to sweeten their wine and storing it in lead containers, or running their water thru lead pipes. In the future I can see people laughing at us for believing we can live in a huge cloud of vehicle emissions with out any harmful effects on our health. They are just beginning to question building schools alongside 4 lane highways. Slow learners?
When I went to Vancouver, I started to cough in the first ten miles and didn't stop coughing until I had been out of town for a week ( in my boat with my wood stove going)
I used to have an oil heater, which burned super clean, with a blue flame. It made me cough. I got rid of it and switched to wood, and the cough went away in a week .
$4a month for your electric heat? Does that include your moorage? Can you buy your electric heat without paying moorage, probably more than my total cost of living, and cruising anywhere I want to, any time? Does having to pay moorage to get your electric heat, mean being given a long list of rules as to what you may or may not do in your own floating home? Does that involve being surrounded by that floating soap opera called "Marina?"
Not having all those expenses enabled me to semi retire in my mid 20's. How long did it take you? At what age? Do you really believe I wish I had spent all that time working instead of cruising?
Do you really think I will lay on my death bed wishing I had worked more and played less?
We have been living around wood fires for tens of thousands of years. Our bodies have adapted. How long have we lived around oil stoves? How does driving thru smog, the exhausts of many cars in front of us, to earn the money to buy oil, affect our health? Sure affects mine , in a bad way. Having never owned a car I don't put out much of that poison. General motors would call me downright "EVIL. You would believe anything they tell you. I would take that as a compliment . As one USanian politico said "What is right for general motors is right for America."
Once my boat has been built ,my environmental foot print drops to a tiny fraction of what it would be, living the Consumer , squanderism lifestyle , a lifestyle which would take three more planets to sustain indefinitely . Ditto the people I build for, who live aboard, and get rid of their cars. The reduction in our lifetime environmental foot print is far greater than any brief damage from building our boats ( which enable us to live such a low impact lifestyle)
If you live on the East Coast of the US, your power is coming from coal fired generators, coal obtained by blowing the tops off mountains. How self delusional would one have to be to believe that the electric cord it comes out of is the original ,only source of such power.
Reminds me about the story of a kid in silicone valley who walked into work and announced "Wow I just found out where milk comes from. It comes from cows!"
Sounds like Steve's( Smacks ) way of urban thinking. So tell us where meat comes from Steve.
Cows? No way !It comes from Styrofoam trays in super markets? Cows have nothing to do with it?
How about eggs? The also come from Styrofoam containers in super markets? Chickens have nothing to do with it?
Ya, sure Steve!

Met my great grandfather when he was 100. Lived to 103. His dad lived to 104 .Never saw a doctor in that time. They used exclusively wood heat, in minus 40 degree winters. Sure didn't kill them off early.
I have cruised all the South Pacific Islands which interested me. I could be there right now, if I wanted to, but have no interest. Friends cruising the West Indies, said they were harassed daily by the US coast guard. Some have been given orders while the US Cost Guard held a cocked and loaded machine gun at the head of their 8 year old daughter. That doesn't happen here. In over40 years of cruising the BC coast I have been asked only once to show a Mountie my lifejacket. That was the only time I have been stopped by big brother here. When a Mountie suggested a wife beater try a ballistic solution on his victim, I was able to get him fired, and to kiss his pension goodby. Good luck with that issue in a foreign country.
A friend with one of my 36 footers was in Houston when hurricane Ike hit. Luckily his boat was in a marina which survived, but his pick up truck and other possessions were under 6 feet of water. Part of the cost of living in tropical places. So much easier to throw another log on the fire, than deal with that.
Here, I don't need a visa, don't need a passport, they cant kick me out, I don't have a deadline as to when I must leave by ,can come and go anytime, with no ones permission, can work anytime the urge hits me, can hunt, have no problem finding what I need to do projects , have full health care for free, no lack of medical services, the government pays me for existing, I get my mail reliably, the list goes on.
I can sail a few miles and be in wilderness, far from anyone, not anchored in some one's back yard, such as is the case in most tropical places.
No coral to eat my anchors or anchor rodes, or fill tiny anchorages into uselessness, no malaria, no denghe fever, no amoebas. Paradise is a place called home.
In the South Pacific ,it seems Californians, and east coast Usanians, are horrified at the thought of going home. People from BC and Washington are a bit keen to get home, Alaskans cant wait to get home. That says a lot about home!
I always come home, homesick. The West Indies is the last place on the planet I want to be. It's all yours, Steve, yours and millions of others .

Last edited by Brent Swain; 11-26-2013 at 05:44 PM.