SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Transat Jaques Vabre

Thanks Hmoll.

On the 40 class Pella continues to win over the 1st. It is now at 79nm of Rogues with 765nm to go. Not possible to catch him but a nice recover anyway. Just proving that they and their boat are the fastest on this race and that without that forced stop they would have won.

But regarding this race I would like to call your attention for the incredible race of the two last. Yes that it seems odd being them in last place and all but consider this:

The First group to arrive were racing in 2010/2011 boats (with exception of Marc that had a 2007 boat), the second group, formed by Louis Burton, Bertrand the Broc and Zbigniew Gutkowski have all 2006/2007 boats and they have a crew, I mean another racer teaming with them.

Alessandro di Benedeto and Tanguy Lamotte are racing in really antiques, 1998 boats that still have fixed keels while all the others have canting keels and that is not all:

The crew mate of Tanguy is François Damiens. The man is a famous Belgian comedian. No experience in racing at high level. I guess that has helped to get the needed budget.

The one that races with Alessandro is Alberto Monaco. He is also not a racer, never raced at high level, it is a boat builder specialized in racing boats. If you look the videos posted by Alessandro you could see that they are always repairing something. I guess Alexandro knew that he needed an expert to keep that old boat in one piece.

So, they are not only racing in old boats without canting keel as they are racing practically alone and even so they are at only at 135nm from the last boat of the second group in the race, the ones with 2007 boats. That is an AMAZING feat. Their boats are about 15% slower and they should be at many hundreds of miles, not at a bit more than a hundred miles.

The second amazing thing that we can notice is that Alexandro is as fast as Tanguy (they are very close in a particular race). There is a big difference between the two in what regards racing experience. Tanguy (that is also a NA) is a winner of several top races since 2001. Alexandro was an adventurer with incredible exploits like the crossing of the Atlantic and the Pacific in a beach cat a solo non stop circumnavigation in a mini racer and the only serious race at top level was the last Vendee. On that one Tanguy was faster.

Well, not anymore he is sailing at the same level. These two deserve a fast boat, they have already proved they are better sailors that some that have much better and faster boats. I hope they will get them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-26-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook