SailNet Community - View Single Post - Brand new, What now?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
ffsmo-
If you have to do it together, hellosailor's remark should be your theme: 'lessons, not a vacation'. My wife and I did the 101,103,104 together (in the USVI) and it went great! A lot of factors made us the exception rather than the rule, most important (i think) was the level of experience of the instructor. He'd taught with couples in the class before, and had the 'true sea stories' to back it up. We went into it with hellosailor's attitude (and also considered it an 'adventure' ). If your wife has a good backbone, she won't let you run over her. And if she doesn't (No offense intended), it's better to learn before you take off with children on board. One thing though: squeezing the 3 courses into a week is a bit too short, but with only the two of you, it might be better. We had 4 students total, us plus two with zero experience, and it did feel like we lost time teaching the other 2 the difference between port and starboard. However you decide to do it, do it! Don't let us talk you out of it, even a bad day sailing is heaven on water!
Cheers
Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook