SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Helmets and sailing

19K views 120 replies 36 participants last post by  GreymatterPG 
#1 ·
What are everyone's thoughts about helmets and sailing? I've taken a few hard hits from the boom over the years and I'm starting to look at wearing a helmet. What do you think?

#2 ·
What kind of helmuts do you have in mind ? Nascar, football, the list goes on ......... :)

#3 ·
It may be a very good idea, as most of the serious injuries, at least according to the Safety At Sea seminar I attended last year, were either boom or MOB related. Probably want to go with something like a rock-climbing or hockey helmet, rather than a cycling one...

The other option is having the boom raised a bit on your boat... so that the area where contact between the head and the boom is reduced... On my boat, if you're in the cockpit, it is almost impossible to get hit by the boom, unless you're head is above the bimini. :D Also, installing a boom brake can reduce the speed and force the boom can exert when it moves accidentally... making it much less likely to injure you.

The problem with a helmet on a boat, is that they can be hot and uncomfortable, and it is easy to forget to wear them... and not everyone aboard will have one that fits them. IMHO, it is generally better to make the boat safer by reducing the risks, than accepting them and putting a helmet on as part of accepting them.

Even though the boom on my boat isn't much of a danger to people in the cockpit, it still represents a bit of a danger to people working on the cabintop, so I have installed a Dutchman boom brake on my boat, and would highly recommend it to anyone. It reduces the danger of the boom in an accidental tack or gybe, and also helps protect the rig from the shock loads of an accidental gybe.

#5 ·
T34C said:
I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure your boom will be fine.
LOL, evil...but funny.

#8 ·
But CD... I had a great helmet picked out just for you...I was going to send it to you for Father's day... Here's a photo of it... ;)

#11 ·
If you're dumb enough to get hit by the boom....its a Devine sign that sailing is not for you....kinda like the story of the guy that kept buying sea sickness pills and condoms......

I assure you...you get hit once...twice....and sometimes a third time...after that you're out of my boat....my boom was expensive....

#12 ·
The advantage of Giu wearing a helmet is that we can't see his face...that's a bonus in my book. :D

#14 ·
Of course, on the serious side..there have been days where I've been out and wished I had a motorcycle helmet with full face mask, since the rain was coming down horizontally at about 35 mph... and making it awfully uncomfortable to look out at...

#15 ·
Giulietta said:
Riiiight...one photo of that coming right up....stay tuned....:D :D :D
This should be good... I can't wait to see what he comes up with...

#17 · (Edited)
Please don't give the government any ideas!

Please don't give the government any ideas! Next thing you know some anti-fun, loser lawmaker will be mandating we all wear helmets for our safety. As always it will start with children first then incrementally creep towards a law in adults.

As someone who grew up during the Evil Knievel era jumping my Schwin Stingray over as many trash cans as I could with no helmet, skiing fast and recklessly before ski areas banned that with no helmet and playing coyboys and indians with real BB guns, one pump rule only of course, I find these new helmet laws and such so PC and idiotic & it's just plain foolish. It's a dangerous world out there maybe we sould mandate helmets while driving a car or being a pedestrian in any city with a "high density" population...?? Oh yeah and any elderly person requiring a cane or walker should most definitely wear a helmet too we all know how often they fall down. Save the children.....!!!!! Save the elderly......!!!! Look like idiots!

I never knew anyone of my friends who "lost an eye" or who was "paralysed" or "permanently brain damaged". Have we become a society of wimps and losers. Next time any of you go skiing look at how stupid the helmet wearers look. The best part is they are always the slowest most careful "sally assed" skiiers on the mountain except for the snow boarders but they have so many stickers on their helmets you can't tell if it's a helmet or a bill board any way..

My guess is that this thread was a troll and you got me!!!

#18 ·
Hey T34C... I found the perfect helmet for you... ;) Here's a photo...

#19 ·
Halekai-

What is a Helmut... last I checked it was big German guy... who was a bouncer at a local bar...

#20 · (Edited)
sailingdog said:
Of course, on the serious side..there have been days where I've been out and wished I had a motorcycle helmet with full face mask, since the rain was coming down horizontally at about 35 mph... and making it awfully uncomfortable to look out at...
EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA!!!!!!!!!!!!

SAILINGDOG AT THE MARINA AFTER A HARD DAY SAILING IN THE RAIN....

NOTE THE EXQUISITE FOUL WEATHER GEAR.....

#21 · (Edited)
Hey, at least my legs look good... ;)

Actually, you can tell it's a photoshopped photo, since it looks nothing like me-far too flabby for one...and nothing like my real photo as seen previously on sailnet...

#22 ·
Seriously, I think that reducing the risk of head injuries is far better than wearing a helmet... If you add a boom brake, and raise the boom or shorten the leech of the sail slightly, it'll go a long way to preventing the boom from hitting your head.

Why's a boom called a boom...that's the noise you hear when it whacks you in the head...

#24 ·
T34C said:
I think Helmut works at one of those bars where they like to wear alot of leather and dress like the Village People!!:D
Do you go there often??? LOL.... btw, do you like your new sailing helmet ?:D

Reactions: T34C
#25 ·
SD- Perhap the easiest solution of all... Lower Your Head!

Or, since many on this site are more technical, maybe try applying some sort of lubricant to you head so the boom slides off more easily. That way it could only land a glancing blow! Maybe for those with "hair defeciency" a light spray of non-stick cooking oil would suffice????:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.