SailNet Community - View Single Post - I am looking at a Ingrid 38 what do you know
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I am looking at a Ingrid 38 what do you know

Ingrids were an Atkins design from the 1930''s. Atkin really understood a lot about the Colin Archer types and had a wonderful ability to model yacht versons based on traditional working craft. The Ingrid is one of my favorite designs. They have been built and sold under all kinds of names and in a wide range of configurations. 26000 lbs sounds about right for one. The big problems with these boats were that they were designed for wooden construction. As it turns out, the wooden hulls were actually lighter than the glass hulls and so many of the glass boats are a little underballasted. The originals were pretty deep as well and so some of the knock offs are a bit shallower adding to this reduced stability. In their original form they had Ketch rigs that are the best of what a ketch rig should be. (Not my favorite rig as it gets interpretted on many boats)

Still and all these are really bullet proof go anywhere types of boats. (To me these are what a 38 foot traditional boat should be if they really wanted to live up to their reputation.)

Its not that they are perfect boats. They are quite slow by any modern standard. Because of thier double ends the interior and cockpit are a little small, and they tend to be a little wet. Still in all these are really neat boats if your goal is to really do some long distance voyaging and you really don''t care when you will arrive.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook