SailNet Community - View Single Post - cool cockpit BIMINI pic ideas please
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: cool cockpit BIMINI pic ideas please

When I bought this boat I'd never been on another one. Boy, did I get lucky!
Since then we've been on 5 other Pearson 530's and really, the biggest difference is in the dodger/bimini set ups. We can walk under ours from hatch to wheel with plenty of headroom. None of the others have that headroom and one is just barely 5'10" and very uncomfortable. Three have material side panels on the dodger (instead of see through) and it makes the whole cockpit into a tunnel; awful. One has a dodger that is 8" or so shorter than the bimini, so they have a little strip between and it's useless to see through and wet if it's not in place.
We have two "windows" to watch the gear being set or furled. Others do not. As it's a dodger/bimini combo, there is a pretty big spread between the dodger and the back of the bimini so I added bars that tie the two sections together (horizontal to the deck) and give us an excellent handhold when stepping out onto the deck.
So think very seriously about the livability and usability of your cockpit covers. It can make all the difference in the amount of time you can spend in the cockpit enjoyably.