SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Your suggestion that a fibreglass boat is built with zero environmental foot print assumes that resin is not a petroleum product. that the metal in the engine is never mined nor smelted, it originates at the factory , by "Magic" as does the material in the DVD's and books he uses.. Resin doesn't come from oil nor the tar sands? Where does it come from? The marine store? Ya sure Steve, the same way meat doesn't come from cows, but from the super market?
And you don't have an environmental foot print? Do you power your car with methane from your posts? Your electricity is "produced" at the outlet by "Magic?"
I have never claimed that my boats don't have an environmental foot print. Just that when one moves aboard, his environmental foot print is drastically reduced from that of people living the "Designated " consumer lifestyle.
Yes this is off topic , but when Steve spouts his foolish disinformation, it must be challenged . Such crap, unchallenged, is naively accepted as truth , by some.
He was suggesting (and I agree) that utilizing an EXISTING glass boat has a smaller footprint than making NEW steel for a new steel boat.

Tough to have a smaller footprint than using already existing stuff.

P.S. where is the quote or link about "shape not affecting strength"? Hard to believe that anyone who ever cracked an egg could be that obtuse.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.