SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Towing insurance

3K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
Is towing insurance worth it? And don't answer with, it depends on whether you break down or run aground. ;)

Is insurance from someone like Seatow better than the cheaper converage you can get with your boat insurance policy?

#2 ·
It's worth is best quantified by someone who has had the need for it.

We've had towing insurance with several companies through the years, including Seatow. We went back to Boat U.S. three years ago - since they also insure the boat.

So far we've been lucky, so cannot rate them. But their tow boat stations are widely distributed in our cruising area - an important consideration to factor in your decision.

#3 ·
This is what I am thinking over:

Seatow and BoatUS are both widely distributed in our sailing area. That's no problem. Do I go with one of their unlimited towing plans for something around $120 a year, not knowing if I'll ever need it, or do I go with a towing add-on to my boat insurance policy that covers up to $500 for towing for $20 per year?

#4 ·
I do what the insurance agents who have boats do if that's any indication. They assure me that it's a myth that submitting a towing claim on your hull insurance policy will adversely affect your policy premium so they consistently recommend to me to keep our towing endorsement rider on the hull policy. The few of them with whom I have talked to about this all say the same thing about separate towing insurance policies but I can't repeat it on a family channel...

#5 ·
Towing insurance can be a good thing

I have a good friend who operates a 6' draft boat in a shallow channel. He wisely subscribed to the unlimited Sea Tow plan--said it was about $140/year. I was with him when he got stuck so bad it took two tow boats to pull him back into deep water. He has called them out on at least one other occasion. I hate to think what all this would have cost on a per-incident basis.

#6 ·
If you're in an area with a lot of skinny water, then yes, it can be worth it. But remember, if you do ever need a tow, or assistance (fuel, jumpstart) there's a good chance you're looking at $500, and for a soft ungrounding, add another $300. Like most insurance, you hope you don't need it, but for $120.00 a year for unlimited, it's worth it to me.

#7 ·
$500 isn't much at all when you consider that they start charging from the time they leave the dock until the time they're back at the dock... If you used the "unlimited" SeaTow or TowBoat US policy once for a soft ungrounding or dead engine tow back to your marina, it will have paid for itself for several years pretty easily.

#9 ·
sailingdog said:
$500 isn't much at all when you consider that they start charging from the time they leave the dock until the time they're back at the dock... If you used the "unlimited" SeaTow or TowBoat US policy once for a soft ungrounding or dead engine tow back to your marina, it will have paid for itself for several years pretty easily.
Absolutly true.. we have had the Boat US for yrs never used it till that one time with a dead engine. Charge would have been way over 500 as it was no charge...

#10 ·
Yeah and that charge from the time they leave the dock is about 100 to 150 per hour. then the tow back at 4 kts. I used Boat US twice last year due to mechanical problems (steering, fresh water pump fell apart), and each of those would have been well over $800.each. I figure as a sailboat, I can generally get close to the harbor so I go with the minimum rate, well worth the cost.

#11 ·
It is worth mentioning that for alot less money for tow company insurance, you can add an endorsement to your hull policy which has two advantages:
1. either a high or no limit on coverage, and
2. the entertainment value while your waiting - it's fun calling on the radio "any tow vessel please respond" and watch them race each other to the scene

#14 ·
I wouldn't go anywhere without either Boat/Us Towing or Sea Tow. The cost for the protection is minimal compared to what it may cost for a grounding or loss of engine. It happened to me less than 1 nm from the marina. Lost the trany and the current pushed us into shallow water. Boat/US came and by the time it was all finished and at the marina dock it was over $650; and that was 4 years ago. I am with Sea Tow now with unlimited towing and they can cover me when I am in the BVI.

#15 ·
I am an independent tower who contracts with Boat US (we're vessel assist on the west coast). I charge $175/hr and I try to tow between 5 and 6 knots depending on the boat and sea conditions. My typical tow last 6 to 8 hrs. If you are not a member I require a working credit card number up front. For most people it's better to be a member, when you need a tow (sooner or later every one needs a tow, even me) you just call on the radio, give me your member number and I tow you home no fuss or muss. Also members have priority over nonmembers which can mean the differance of waiting 5 or 6 hours on a busy weekend.

#17 ·
Enhydras said:
I am an independent tower who contracts with Boat US (we're vessel assist on the west coast). I charge $175/hr and I try to tow between 5 and 6 knots depending on the boat and sea conditions. My typical tow last 6 to 8 hrs. If you are not a member I require a working credit card number up front. For most people it's better to be a member, when you need a tow (sooner or later every one needs a tow, even me) you just call on the radio, give me your member number and I tow you home no fuss or muss. Also members have priority over nonmembers which can mean the differ[a]nce of waiting 5 or 6 hours on a busy weekend.

I'm not sure you want to respond to this question but - Is it really the policy of your employer that you selectively respond to requests for assistance based upon membership status rather than exigency?

#19 ·
CD-

I believe the major difference between soft and hard groundings is the damage done to the boat. In a soft grounding, the boat is not damaged, and is not in danger of being damaged—just stuck. In a hard grounding, the boat is usually damaged, and possibly taking on water or in danger of further damage.

#21 ·
A hard grounding is one in which there is already damage to the boat or their is immediate peril to the vessel (on a reef and beginning to pound for example). Many hard grounding can be salvage situations. A soft grounding means there is no damage and you just are stuck and need a tow off a soft bottom.

#22 ·
K1svk

In the case of a true emergency- the possible injury or loss of life- I would immediately contact an emergency response agency i.e. Coast Guard, Baywatch, or harbor patrol, as they have the personal and equipment to deal with medical emergencies. If it was determined that I had the best and quickest response time I would of coarse respond. However bobbing around in ocean 3 miles from land with a broken impeller and an over heating engine, with everyone getting seasick is not considered a life or death emergency.

I realize that this less likely to happen on a sailboat- only a small percentage of my tows are sailboats- but it can.

Cruising Dad
A soft grounding is basically just stuck in the mud were there is no damage to the boat and pulling the boat out of the mud is not likely to cause any damage to the boat. A hard grounding, damage to the boat dewatering of the boat or babysitting of the boat, waiting for the tide to come back, is almost always considered a salvage

#23 ·
Enhydras - so in the event of a hard grounding, any assistance should be determined beforehand whether it is salvage or otherwise? Or is it atuomatically considered salvage?

#24 ·
PBzeer,

Anytime you accept assistance from a commercial tower you should determine weather it is covered service, in the case towing insurance i.e. Tow Boat/US, Vessel Assist, or Seatow (those are the ones I know of there maybe others), or is it a fee for service- salvage. If it turns out to be a fee for service you should have contract with the stating what his rates are, what he is responsible for and any other information that might be pertinent. He should give you an estimate of the cost but this will likely only a ball park estimate because as we all know thing on a boat rarely go as planned and this especially true when dealing with a salvage.

I know that the Boat/US web site had some excellent info the difference between towing and salvage and what to look for in both. If I can find the web address I will post in this forum.

Also be aware that if you do a good sam tow of another vessel it is illegal to except any compensation unless you are licensed by USCG and have a towing endorsement

#25 ·
Enhydras-

I believe it is actually illegal to require compensation if you do not have the towing endorsement. I don't believe that there is any law saying that if the guy wants to give you money, that you can not accept it. One is payment for service, the other is a gift—huge difference legally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.